I purchased a kidney shaped vanity (without chair) at a yard sale last season. It was in good shape just really dirty and it needed a new coat of paint badly. This is the before picture:
Just a cute small vanity table with a whole lot of small nails…deeply embedded…
Well, I did manage to get most of the small nails out, one leg needed a bit wood glue that was all. Next is the usual: I sanded the table thoroughly, cleaned it with a TSP solution (watch out for this stuff – wear gloves), and primed it with Zinsser. By this time I had also found a matching stool:
This stool had layers upon layers of shellac, so it took me a while to get it prepared for painting. But this piece is also real sturdy, and I am not sure if this stool belonged with the vanity, but it just looks cute together.
I choose for the vanity and chair a semi-gloss medium aqua blue (I think everyone has their own name for this color). I did not distress this time, just liked the fresh painted glossy look. Sorry for the background here…this is my work area as you may notice…
So far so good, but I did not know how to go from here: On one hand I like it without a skirt, but it just needed something. Luckily my sister came over for a visit and she is great with giving advice. She suggested I make a skirt for this table, a flowy skirt. At G-street fabrics I actually found fabric in EXACTLY the same shade as the paint. Amazing! Well here is the After look:
Online I found a tutorial how to make a skirt for a kidney vanity, but I did not like to staple the fabric to the table. We did not use staples but velcro. You can take it off easily in case it needs to be washed. The butterflies were hand sewn to the fabric.
The vanity has a small drawer, I also painted the inside.
Separate picture for the stool:
My doily art: