Last year I bought a very muddy and sad looking French Provincial bed frame. I liked the shape but was not sure what to do with it exactly. It took me a couple of weeks, Ok months, to figure it out: I would paint this frame glossy fresh white with a small red line, why not?
Well I took out the glossy Chef’s White and started painting. The result was actually great, and when I painted a small red line, I messed up. it was still kinda OK, but it was not a neat line. I had to do something about it and next I painted the entire bed frame RED….well that was wrong…..the shade I bought was Martha Stewart saffran red, not a nice red….
I decided to cool things off with Benjamin Moore’s Pewter grey that I still had. That was a much better decision..
The last step was rubbing the frame with WATCO Danish Oil. This is a nice product that I use quite often. The finish I have is natural, not a dark stain color.
I am learning to pick the right color immediately, but that is actually not easy. I hope this gets better with time. The distressing was a lot of fun because I was not sure which color would come through. Bit of red, bit of white…it is all there. I finished it off with a wipe-on poly. Just for endurance.